EXPERIENCE DURING COVID-19 (MOVEMENT CONTROL ORDER) AND ERTL


2020 has been a whir whirl year for almost every single soul in this universe. It has been so challenging that it tests every tiny bit and strand of our nerves and veins inside us. With the pandemic Covid-19 that hit the world, no one is excluded from experiencing it even the newborn baby. But I guess when things don’t turn out the way that we hope for, we just need to make the most out of that even if it is a misery, an utter agony.
For the past few months during the pandemic, I experience mixed emotions going through in me. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by sadness without no definite and traceable reason. I did feel completely empty inside my soul. The other time, I just did nothing except for sleeping almost all day long. The lists don’t stop there and that was just a few that I can recall. I guess it is so hard to make peace with the reality—I am in DENIAL phase!
However, as I started to realize that the existence of everything serves its own purpose and reason, I slowly accept the fact that Allah is indeed Merciful and this is just the test to test our Imaan. I begin to count my blessing and try to be the better (Insha Allah will be the best) version on myself. Maybe this is the silver lining behind the occurrence of the pandemic. Not to mention that the MCO happened during Ramadan that I am pretty sure it becomes one of the most unforgettable experiences for all of us. 


Cut story short with the blabber, here are the few things that I did as to add up to my new and existing experience.
1.      I started writing a journey that is something that I have been thinking of doing ever since the MCO started. And yes, I did it!
2.      I managed to Khatam the Holy book of Quran within 3 months and that was such a great achievement compared to once a year before this.
3.      I also never missed the Tarawih prayer and I even try to do the 20 (+3) rakaat.
4.      I learned to continue expressing my feelings through writing poems (English and Malay) in a more beautiful way.
5.      I try baking my favorite cake and it was so scrumptious at the first try.
6.      I add on to my skills by editing video and photos using Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Premiere Pro software.
7.      I listened to spiritual and self-development Podcasts on Spotify.
Side note: These were just a few out of the countless experience I had during MCO.

All in all, the MCO was truly an opportunity to accommodate myself with various skills and experience that some might not be available before this.

Pro tip: Let’s see every circumstance as a mean for us to grow, to get closer to Allah. You will find it more adventurous. It’s the process that matters.

Experience for ERTL

Because of the pandemic that going on all around the way, students are one of the categories that are included and affected by it. This has shifted from the traditional or face-to-face class to the online class. IIUM at the same time has come out with the Emergency Remote Teaching Learning (ERTL) in line with the announcement and amendment made by the Ministry of Higher Education.
Honestly, for someone who prefers the traditional method of learning, it is not convenient in the first place. This is mainly because of my short attention span that I easily get distracted when the lecturer keeps on talking virtually. However, as time goes by, I started to adapt to the online learning as that is the only choice I have. Truth be told, ERTL has taught me to be more appreciative of the moments before the whole COVID 19 thingy. The chance to go to class, to sit together with friends, to discuss assignments in the group, to present in front of classmates, and a lot more of situations a normal student would always experience.

I believe we always need to find the silver lining behind everything that happened. We all just need a little bit of time to make sense and process with the information that we have. Whatever it is, never lose hope in Allah’s mercy.


On a short note: I always make dua to Allah that please never let me depend on myself, instead, please make me always have the full conviction in Him and always be dependent to the one and only Allah.